I always have frozen berries for smoothies and a few packages of Puff Pastry on hand in my freezer because you just never know when you might need pastries!
Here is a simple recipe for fruit pastries using blueberries, but almost any other frozen fruit filling should work great.
Fruit filling variations (Substitute the following for the blueberries):
- Peaches mixed with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cherries with 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Thinly sliced apples with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed according to directions
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1 tablespoon of agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slightly roll out the thawed pastry into a 12×12 square on a floured surface.
- Combine the blueberries, corn starch, agave syrup and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the pastry sheets into 4 squares each (8 squares total) and transfer the pastries to a greased baking sheet.
- Place 1/4 cup of the blueberry mixture into the center of each pastry square.
- Use water to moisten two adjacent sides of each square and fold the pastry over the berries to make a triangle.
- Press the cut sides together with the tines of a fork.
- Cut two small slits in the top of each pastry to allow the filling to vent.
- Bake for 20 – 25 min. until puffed, golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let cool.