We recently made BBQ Jackfruit sliders with Apple Coleslaw for a dinner party and again for a softball family potluck. While our friends may have been a little timid to try it at first, many asked for the recipe. Here it is!
What is jackfruit you ask? It is an amazing vegan meat-like substitute made from the young green jackfruit. It shreds like meat, so it is perfect for BBQ sandwiches. My son even enjoys these sliders for breakfast.
Below is a larger batch of 6 cans for our potluck: pieces of jackfruit, chopped cores and BBQ sauce:
A topping of Apple Coleslaw adds zing and crunch to these sandwiches. Just a few simple ingredients make for a quick salad.
I sometimes add avocado slices to my sandwich, well, because I think avocado makes everything awesome.
Easy BBQ Jackfruit Sliders:
Makes 8-10 sliders.
BBQ Jackfruit slider ingredients:
- Two 20oz. cans of young jackfruit in water, drained. Cut off the cores and chop these finely
- 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce, divided.
- Vegetable broth, if needed to thin a thick BBQ sauce
- 12 slider buns
- Jackfruit can be found in most Asian markets. Make sure to use the young jackfruit canned in water, not syrup. The sweet jackfruit is used for desserts.
- I use two 20oz. cans for our family of four.
- Since the prepared BBQ sauce I use is a little thick, I add about 1/2 cup vegetable broth to thin it just a bit.
Directions: Combine the jackfruit pieces, chopped jackfruit cores and 1 cup of BBQ sauce in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 3-4 hrs. Shred the jackfruit by teasing it apart with two forks. You’ll find it is very tender and shreds easily. Add additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
Apple Coleslaw Ingredients:
- 1-14oz. bag of prepared cabbage and carrot coleslaw
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup Veganaise (plant-based mayo)
- 1 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 T. water
Directions: In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped apple to the cabbage and carrot coleslaw. Whisk the Veganaise, apple cider vinegar and water together in a small bowl or Mason jar until smooth and toss with the cabbage and apples. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
To assemble the sliders: Place the jackfruit onto slider buns, top with additional BBQ sauce, if desired, and a scoop of Apple Coleslaw.